The marble altar which takes pride of place in our church has a very interesting history which goes back to the late 19th century. The history of the Hothorpe estate dates back to the 900AD when it was under the ownership of the Abbey of St Edmundsbury. Throughout history the manor house has been owned by a number of great families. The original manor was demolished and the present house was built in 1799. In 1880 Sir Humphrey de Trafford, a staunch Roman Catholic purchased the Hothorpe estate in Theddingworth. In 1891 he built a marble chapel in memory of his brother Gilbert who had died in 1890. His children were depicted as cherubs on the chapel ceiling. Although this was the family’s private chapel the de Traffords allowed the people of Theddingworth, particularly their tenants and servants to attend services there. At that time Theddingworth was in the diocese of Nottingham and was served by the chapel of the TurvillePetre family in the neighbouring parish of Husbands Bosworth which the de Traffords attended before 1892. The house then passed to his second son, Charles, Edmund who was well known in sporting circles – he was one of the top amateurs in first class cricket. In time the family fell into financial difficulties and sold Hothorpe Hall. Rumour has it that Lady de Trafford gambled away part of the family estate at Old Trafford, where Manchester United now play. After the de Traffords left in 1928, the chapel was expressly excluded from leases and sales of the estate. It continued to be used until 1952 when Miss Hilda de Trafford gave the altar and other artifacts from the estate to St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church Dunstable in Bedfordshire. The Lutheran Council of Great Britain purchased Hothorpe Hall as a conference centre in 1955 and still use the chapel for their services. In 1964 Father Murat fortuitously visited the newly built church of St Mary’s in Dunstable. Whilst there he came across the marble altar in the church hall which had been the original church. The parish priest and St Mary’s community agreed that Father Murat could have the altar for the church the Polish community had recently purchased and were redeveloping. The architect overseeing the redevelopment of the new church in Leicester employed a small family firm to dismantle the altar, piece by piece and bring it back to Leicester and reconstruct it as a side altar in St Paul’s Polish Catholic Church on Melbourne Road. Here it stayed for nearly 40 years until the Polish Community moved to its present location on Wakerley Road. As luck would have it Mr David Rossi, a member of the firm who rescued the altar from Dunstable was still living in Leicester and was married to Mrs Janina Rossi, the then secretary of the Polish Club. Mr Rossi volunteered to dismantle the altar at the Melbourne Road church and reconstruct it the new church as its centre piece at his own expense. It is now the centrepiece of our church.